Friday, January 12, 2018

Trump asks: "why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"


Every week it's something or other with Trump. Yesterday, the Washingon Post reported the following:


"President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday."

Obviously, I'm not a wordsmith. However, if I was in a professional setting, I'd like to think I could come up with a better phrase than "shithole countries" to describe struggling or third-world nations. 
Then again, being a Latino,  I inherently sympathize with the experience of other immigrants. But it appears when it comes to immigrants, our president can call us any name in the book, and it's fine with most republicans. Some republicans even say it's just Trump "tellling it like it is" or Trump is "just saying what many people are thinking".

I know when I visit my parents this weekend, they'll ask me about "shithole countries". So now I'm trying to figure out how to translate it in spanish: "paises de hoyo de mierda?". 
But we better get used to it. The fact republicans in leadership are too cowardly to call out the president means Trump's attitude will deteriorate with time, because Trump views any criticism as just "democrats" attacking him. 
So... Who knows what the Donald will say next?    

Senator Richard Durbin verified what Trump said. & he added the following:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-shithole-countries-durbin-20180112-story.html
"I cannot believe that in the history of the White House and of that Oval Office, any president has ever spoken the words that I personally heard our president speak yesterday. You've seen the comments in the press. I have not read one of them that's inaccurate."

Senator Durbin may be right. At least in modern history, the presidents whose administrations I've lived through, president Clinton, W. Bush, & Obama. I doubt words with such lack of professionalism & down-right racism were ever spoken in the oval office. But the republican party has a problem which could infect their party from now on. Because, since the republican leadership has been quiet about Trump's utterance, now you have your doubts about what has or hasn't been spoken in this particular oval office or any oval office which the republicans have ever controlled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment